My photo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
I'm a Proud Navajo, Father, Husband, Brother, Son, and Friend. I'm all about cheap thrills, guitar pickin', and writing about the adventures of my life. I'm never politically correct.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The door to a family


Chuska Mountain
Originally uploaded by jaecee.
When I was a kid, I used to ride horses on this road to check on the cattle. It lead to my Nali's home at the base of the Chuska Mountains. I knew at the end of this road, I open the door at the Curley Ranch and I would find the smell of hot food on the stove and my Nali' Asdzaa would be flappin' some tortillas and tell me to sit and eat. After that, I'd be out and about working on the farm. Things got done. If it didn't, there wouldn't be hardly any food on the table in the winter months and you'd curse yourself for being so lazy. Those were times when all was simple. You worked and prayed, and did it all over again the next day.
Well, for me, the dying season has come and with it, a change, not for the better but for the worst.
In my mind, I can hear my late Nali' scolding us for what we have become. My late chei would have done the same.

"Why can't you do anything without us?"

"I know we have taught you better!"

Yes, we should have been able to overcome our loss and continue to live as a Dine' should without stumbling. In this case, it has gone in a more selfish direction that may not be fixed. It's almost gone. Some of us still cry for those who have left us for the next world...I know why they do but I don't understand why they can't stop grieving and walk with out falling. I feel that a great burden has been put upon me with great force and deafing clamor.

Front Door

I hope the door can be opened again.

No comments: