My photo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
I'm a Proud Navajo, Father, Husband, Brother, Son, and Friend. I'm all about cheap thrills, guitar pickin', and writing about the adventures of my life. I'm never politically correct.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

6 songs that make a Curley

Me and DRI

Me on tour with DRI, circa 1989


Man, all this conjures up in my memories of music appreciation is me in front of a mirror singing at the top of my lungs.........Jesse's Girl. My little heathen dumbass should have been arrested and sent to Hilltop school with all the good boys and girls. Only six? I could have easily listed a cool one hundred.

But seriously folks, I must go deeper into the bowels of my memory to convey to you the music that makes up my being. Like Keyeew at Less Than Zero, my taste for music is not made up of just one genre. I think of it like a good stew with pieces of this and that. Some of it crunchy and soft, big and little, all mixed well to be served in a big bowl and slurped up with a big spoon and some of grandma's frybread.

Most of the time I play a certain piece to reflect my mood or to fit my surroundings. Some of them bring up the memories.......the good, the bad, and the ugly.

When I was a kid in the 70's out at Two Grey Hills I can remember the times my dad and I would got to look for cows in the ranch truck with Creedence Clearwater Revival followed by Gary Stewart's "Empty Glass" playing through that one speaker on the dashboard. KNDN seemed to play everything, well at the time it was only country and rock, but it was always well mixed with a little bit of Elvis, The Beatles, Waylon Jennings, Crystal Gale, and Buddy Holly.

As a kid:
6 - Empty Glass - Gary Stewart
5 - The Beatles
4 - Waylon Jennings
3 - Suzie Q - Creedence Clearwater Revival
2 - Elvis Presley
1 - Buck Owens

Now as I grew up into a dorky adolesent in Window Rock, my taste for music really had to take a certain road depending upon who you hung out with. However, I would still jam to whatever I wanted behind my closed doors. Being found out that you liked Earl Thomas Conley while wearing a Black Sabbath concert T-shirt is sacrilegous and would have been dealt with by a public melvin and then labeled a bronc. And when I discovered the meadow of fragrant flowers, you know who you are, I had to tolerate the sounds of Janet Jackson, Sheila E., MC Hammer, and New Kids On The Block just to make them happy. She was worth it though. I tried, I really tried to like this music but I just couldn't stomach it. I found that I was one of those.... a phony. So as I entered the last years of high school I was jamming with my fists in the air to Guns N Roses, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, the ever evil Black Sabbath. Rock N Roll Brotha!

This list will reflect my goofy years and the songs that make me remember them.

6 - Seek and Destroy - Metallica (weightroom mood music)
5 - I Miss You - Klymaxx (the chicks)
4 - Patience - Guns N Roses (I still see those headlights coming at me)
3 - Angel - Aerosmith (Because somebody constantly played that damned song in WRHS lunch hall jukebox!!)
2 - I Hate Myself for Loving You - Joan Jett (because I did)
1 - Heavy Chains - Loudness (you have to give them credit for trying)

Now I entered the lean years of my life and music evolved without me. I was broke for most of the early 90's. I remember during my first attempt at college in the fall of 1990 I had tickets to see Stevie Ray Vaughan at Tingley colliseum in Albuquerque but he died before I could see him. This started my appreciation for the guitar arts. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King, John Lee Hooker, Al DiMeola, and Stanley Jordan were all could remember listening to exclusively as I tried to become one of them. I could never be like them. Now it seems that I just collect guitars.

Side A
6 - Dee - Randy Rhodes (First song I ever learned to play)
5 - Stormy Monday - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King
4 - Circles - Joe Satriani
3 - Hey you - Pink Floyd
2 - Red House - Jimi Hendrix
1 - Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Side B
6 - Passion and Warfare - Steve Vai
5 - Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker
4 - Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix
3 - Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughan version
2 - Voodoo Chile(Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix
1 - Voodoo Chile(Slight Return) - Stevie Ray Vaughan version

Ok so I listened to alot of SRV.

In 2005, now I find myself in another evolution of music. Now there's the Ebonic evolution (everybody wants to be black), Cookie Monster Metal (still can't figure that one out), and country without COUNTRY (Keith Urban WTF?). Here I am with a bowl of music stew that just don't taste quite right. So I add some new stuff. A little of this and a little of that.

6 - Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
5 - Red House - Jimi Hendrix
4 - Country Boy - Hank Williams Jr.
3 - Master of Puppets - Metallica
2 - The Trooper - Iron Maiden
1 - Imagine - John Lennon


I must add a seventh......... 7 - Highway to Hell - AC/DC

So there. There are songs that fighting in my mind right now trying to make it to this list. Man this was hard. If I ever have to do this again it will change. So it is written.


Now I will pass it over to the lovely Tiger. I hope that she can make sense of the madness.

GO SCOUTS!!! "I betcha I can throw a football over them mountains..."

No comments: