My photo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
I'm a Proud Navajo, Father, Husband, Brother, Son, and Friend. I'm all about cheap thrills, guitar pickin', and writing about the adventures of my life. I'm never politically correct.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Sometimes neighbors suck ass

I have no idea what the deal is but I cannot figure it out. My neighbors across the street have some problem with everybody that lives around them. It's been a couple of months since they moved in and they are the third owners of this house. Normally, if I lived in an apartment I wouldn't really give a shit but these folks LIVE, NOT STAY across the street. And, no, it's not a white vs. Indian thing, I can't play that game anymore. As you've figured, I've been asked that alot. Well, anyway...lately, it's been getting worse.

At first, when they first moved in, I said hello as much as I could and I thought that they just didn't hear me. But, one evening I said 'Hello!' loudly when the gal was out having a smoke in her garage. Nothing...she dowsed the smoke and vanished. I thought, "do I oh fend?" Nope, it seems that the other neighbors share my feelings. When they come out, taking out the trash or whatever, the wifey chick gathers her flock and crushes her coals and scurries into her burrow.

Now, the dude of said burrow seems to be ok, but I get a reluctant neighborly wave. What was weird about him was one morning while I was tooling around in my garage, I felt a nudge at the back of my knees and found that their Rot puppy came over to me to cure his curiosity and get some attention. What a cool dog but he's one of those breeds that is so inbred that hip diplasia is inevitable. Indeed he was narrow hipped and thick headed. Well, anyway, his kid came across the street and hid behind my truck.....yeah, hid behind my truck......I said, "I'm on the other side" and then I saw the dude come over. He approached me and I said, "hey, cool dog", and he said, "sorry, sorry man". I was cool with everything, no harm done. I introduced myself and he told me his name and he too scrurried away as if I was going to scream bloody murder. You could have imagined my look as I saw them disappear into the house and the garage immediate shut.

Wow.

Between then and now, my family and I hang out in the front yard because we have planted flowers and some herbs (oh yeah, they're growing fine), playing on the grass, drawing on the driveway, riding bikes, and reading on the porch bench...if they're out there, they run and hide or only she comes out to the garage and closes it half way so she cannot see us while she chokes on another cancer stick.

What gets me is when my Boogah calls out at the top of her lungs, "HI!", she get's no answer but a quickly closed door. That bugs me because I taught her to be friendly to your neighbors because they shouldn't be strangers. They're neighbors. People who you can go to for help and a friendly smile as neighbors should.

Well, not from these folks.

Last weekend they threw a party. They've had parties before but this one was way too crazy because it lasted into the almost 'waking' hours with loud rap music and 4 wheelers running up and down the street. I was pissed and I should have called the police. I should have. But I fuckin didn't. This kind of event shouldn't happen. Not in suburbia, but it did happen. If there is a next time, I won't allow it to go on. It's too late for, "howdy neighbor". I've tried. I've lived in worse neighborhoods of Shiprock and Window Rock and am ready for anything.

Believe me, I'm a kick ass neighbor. If you need a cup of sugar or help to move a couch or needing an answer to 16 across...I'm there baby. I'll even bring lemonade and beer. If you're wondering why I should care in any amount........it affects the attitude of the neighborhood and ultimately the value of our homes. I live there! Riff raff brings the good man down. Navajos know it. If you get bad vibes at a ceremony, it takes away from the necessary healing.

Bleh, so anyway, I've been the friendliest neighbor that they will ever get! Since it's been warm...I've been out side jammin' the tunes and being as visible as possible. My other neighbors are cool and found it to relieve the stress of the "shitty neighbor" ailment. "Fuck 'em" is my motto, but I have to "Fuck 'em" with a smile.

Rock on my good people. Be good.

More to come.

No comments: