My photo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
I'm a Proud Navajo, Father, Husband, Brother, Son, and Friend. I'm all about cheap thrills, guitar pickin', and writing about the adventures of my life. I'm never politically correct.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Pork Ribs, Rubber Jerky, and Rock'N'Roll

0527081816a.jpg

I went home to Two Grey Hills last week for Memorial Day. It was good to see the family and it was way good to see my ma'sani. Geez, it's been so long since I've laid eyes on the eastern Chuska range. The trees are green in the patches of aspen groves and oak thickets. I miss the days of herding sheep up the mountain and spending the summer months with my grand parents at the cabin. Mmmm...I remember tooling around while the sheep were grazing, sharing my lunch of Vienna sausages and crackers with the sheep dogs, and sipping a warm Shasta.

I grilled some baby backs with a spicy/sweet dry rub. (Emeril's Essense with some brown sugar). Man, my step dad had a field day ... I think he went through about 12 ribs. My aunt showed me up with some very juicy ribs but I had to point out that she cheated because she cooked hers in the oven. No flames, there's something wrong about that. I had a couple of ribs and a helping of potato salad and ducked out for some zzzz's. I needed it too because I went to see Iron Maiden the night before. Man, what a show. I've never seen them before and that is one of the best shows I have ever seen. Rock n Roll baby.

After we hung out with the family we had to leave. I was still tired a little but we had to start out our trek back to Rio Rancho. Geez, I hate being so far away from home. When we lived in Shiprock, it was only about a 45 min drive. Now, it's turned into a long 4 hour drive. But you have to live where the work is. So, we started out and after a painful fill up at the Newcomb Mustang we started south towards Gallup. I was cruising at the usually ludicrous speed of about 70 on old US 666, south by all means too, when I reached behind Karen's seat to fetch me a cool Gatorade in the cooler when BOOM....... Dang, my rear clinched and the steering wheel started to wiggle back and forth, good thing that I had a good grip on the wheel with my left. My right hand hit the back of the seat and I flung it around to gain control at the required 10 and 2 o'clock driving position. It's a good thing that I'm a ninja. Anyway, the left rear tire was instantly in shreds of rubber jerky and was almost ready to lose the bead and running on the rim. I pulled over and luckily it was on a good shoulder. Thank God it was still light out. The girls in the back seat, watching Dora and Boots, never felt a thing. :) I got out and changed the tire with the spare which had low tire pressure. Check your stuff people!! Everybody was safe. I said a prayer and moved onto Rio Rancho with out incident. It could have been worse.

It was still an awesome day out. It was worth the adventure.

No comments: