My photo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
I'm a Proud Navajo, Father, Husband, Brother, Son, and Friend. I'm all about cheap thrills, guitar pickin', and writing about the adventures of my life. I'm never politically correct.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Not All is Lost

Yesterday I attended a career day exhibit at Tohajilii. My company was one of a few that were invited. I've never been to Tohajilii and at first glance, I thought it looked like alot of other towns found within the borders of the big reservation but there was something different about this place, I saw the people out and about interacting like a big family.

I saw children young and old running and walking in a fun run for the Native American Week celebration. As I drove by them, many were waving and smiling. This was part of my home but I felt alien to these folks. I would never been welcomed like this in Window Rock or in Shiprock, places I've grown up and lived. I'm not sure why, but I don't think I would have. I figured alot of these kids were not beaten down by the mind to sludge influence of video games and television. I bet some of these kids still play with rocks, sticks, friends, and the sheep dogs.

Well I was lead into the gymnasium and shown to a table where I could set up my display. Some of the kids started rolling in and some were curious enough to come by and see what I was doing. I laid out previously completed set of plan sheets, a laptop with InRoads, and a couple of my old text books. Before I could sit down the questions came.

I was astonished and a little stumped by the questions from these little minds. Some didn't know what to ask until I explained what I do at work and that would only start a deluge of why's, what's, where's, and how's. Yeah, there were a few that could care less, and then there were some just wanting a pen and lanyard. Handouts, not on my time, you can have one but not without a question. Even a dumb one. I had to force 'em to think of something, anything. They caught on. It was great.

There was one that really woke me up. It was one of those older kids, baggy pants, tatoos, Ebonically inclined, and probably given up on. First he wanted a pen and I said not without a question.......he stood there.....cussed something under his breath.....and spat forth questions that provoked rememered thoughts I always had as a kid watching US 666 being built. He even asked how superelevations were calculated and why there is a crown on the road surfaces. All for a pen. I asked him what he wanted to do after high school. "Be a rapper or just kick back".

When I was a kid I had those dreams of guitar mastery, big haired fans, and groupies but I always had reality in the background. I would have to get a real job. Reality in some of these young minds are usually laced with false ideals, bling bling, fast cash, and respect expected, not earned. I thought, if only he had a mentor around for guidance and to give him doses of true reality, then not all would be lost. I wish I could for him and kids like him. All I can do is make sure I come back next year.

I drove home after that with a reassured confidence that I may have done some good for these young Dine', sparked something in them to journey on a path of knowledge. A path that leads somewhere.

No comments: