My photo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
I'm a Proud Navajo, Father, Husband, Brother, Son, and Friend. I'm all about cheap thrills, guitar pickin', and writing about the adventures of my life. I'm never politically correct.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I've fallen and I can't get up!


Well, I'm having trouble getting started in my quest to become the mean lean fightin' machine that I used to be. Man, it's been like 16 years since I ran a football on old Judd Avey Field and I remember it like it was yesterday. I'm not sure who we played last but I remember that I felt like someone special died that night. I remember counting down to the last seconds and I had my uniform still on and I knew, I just knew that I could do it just one more time. But that was it. Nevermore. But, I remember those Friday nights with the lights and people screaming and cheering on the bleachers and side lines, especially when the Hornets or Wilcats came to town, damn, those were the days. I also made sure to get tackled on their side of the field so I could say hi to their cheerleaders. Hee Hee, you know who you are.

Now the Saturday mornings was a different story.... Coach made us come out on the Saturday morning to assess all injuries and review the game from the night before. I remember waking up in the morning and putting on my practice gear and helmet with the aches and pains. I would go to practice with a headache and ringing ears because of the head blows from helmet to helmet contact. Shins all scraped up, bruised hands, Charlie horses, and I had a sore neck from that face mask shit, damned Roadrunners. At first it sucked, for one you're pissed at the coach for fucking up Saturday morning cartoons and making you run your kinks out even though it's 38 degrees out and in the wind, but by the end of the practice.... it was all better. The pain was near nothing. Just a little ice was all that was needed.

Now, it's 2005, and when was the last time you fell down? Damn, well I fell down while out on a site visit for my job. Not too far.....just stumbled over some sage brush and then boom, there was the ground. I got up with no problem and went on our journey back to Albuquerque. When I got out of the car, it hit me.....pain from my knees to my wrist along with that the soreness from the small hike. Dammit. Dammit to hell!! I'm old and way out of shape. My once strong nimble muscles all at once screamed, "Set your old ass down because this walking shit hurts like a mutherfucker." Damn.

Well, here's the problem....I've been on a quest to reduce the girth of this Indian and my knees have never hurt before. Well they do now. I got to do something different than my usual routine of running around my block. I don't think I am going to be able to jump in to a rigorous routine of heavy lifting and running, although I am an experienced weight lifter and super stud. Heh heh. No, I have to take baby steps... baby steps, even that sounds "wuss". Well, I've taken up walking and biking to keep the impact low on my knees. I hope I can run someday soon without stopping for the pain. I can almost hear the Chariots of Fire theme. Wish me luck.

"I coulda been a contenda".

No comments: