My photo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
I'm a Proud Navajo, Father, Husband, Brother, Son, and Friend. I'm all about cheap thrills, guitar pickin', and writing about the adventures of my life. I'm never politically correct.

Sunday, June 19, 2005

My Day being a Dad



Well the day started pretty well, got to sleep in a little, blogged briefly with my morning coffee...it was going to be a great day,but not without its fair share of events that just seem to test every parent's will.

In the Beginning.........

We had a couple of places that I would like to visit on this day of the Dads - Olive Garden for some Italian vittles, the bookstore, the golf shop, Home Depot, the grocer for some suds, and scoot back to the pad for an evening of relaxation. Hah, two out of 5 was the count. While in the Olive Garden my wife and I noticed something was amiss about the BooGah's appearance; her bangs were way uneven. So, after an extensive interrogation the truth came out. She had cut her hair with a pair of scissors that we had overlooked. Grrrr. After getting out of restaurant we decided to go to Home Depot for some parts for my new tailgating grill and some propane but it soon came to a halt when the BooGah decided to throw a fit because she wanted to go home so I opted to go to the bookstore to try and salvage the day because y'know, everybody likes books. Well, it didn't go that way either. After paying for my selections of a couple of Navajo language books, coloring books, and a copy of the new Team Sleep, we got back in the truck to hopefully go to the local Smiths for some German hootch but for some reason (if you are a parent of a 3 year old, I'm sure you will understand) I put little BooGah's coloring book into the bag along with the other books, but she didn't want it that way...she wanted to hold them. So without hesitation pulled the book out of the bag but it was too late, the deed was done. I broke her rule. But I'm the BOSS and it's friggin' Father's Day!!! "That's it we're going home," I shouted! I'm going to have a good day if it's the last thing I do. So home is where we went. I got some of my last batch left, that'll do and I don't need a new putter today, but the day was still young.

At about 6:45 in the p.m. when I was just settling down to do some last minute relaxing when the BooGah came running up to me telling me, with tears in her eyes, that she had swallowed a shiny marble. Well, we deduced it was a small ball bearing that I saw lying in a box that we were unpacking. Aaaarrrrrgggghh!!! I'm at my ropes end but I had a chance to become the hero again. To the phones!! After being on the phone for about 15 minutes with the local poison control, we were instructed that there shouldn't be any immediate concern, unless it had grease on it or if it was certain that it was indeed a steel object and not lead, which it wasn't. The conclusion....check the poop for the next few days. My baby girl is going to be OK. Wheww!

A Dad's job is never done. I love my kid, even though she has a screwed up haircut and ball bearing in her tummy and I have to follow her around with a magnet; it's all good. I wouldn't change a thing. You gotta love them or else we'd just eat them.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY

No comments: