My photo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
I'm a Proud Navajo, Father, Husband, Brother, Son, and Friend. I'm all about cheap thrills, guitar pickin', and writing about the adventures of my life. I'm never politically correct.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Sometimes shit happens and you wonder why the metal gods are still smiling upon you


Dream Theater
Originally uploaded by jaecee.

Indeed they were this day. From the back row to the front row...well, just closer.

Getting seated at GIGANTOUR was an adventure in itself. In my concert-goer advanced age of 33 and with the order from my wife, I found my self looking at the Journal Pavilion website looking at the "what to bring and what not to bring" lists because I heard that a fan could bring a beach chair, disposable camera, small umbrella, snacks, and a sealed bottle of water not to exceed 1.5 litres.

Believe me, I would have just came with a camera and a fist full of cash for a concert T-shirt and a couple of beers, but she wouldn't have come if she wasn't comfortable. Sure, I thought, what the hell, it could be nice.

So, we went shopping.... first for some beach chairs (camouflaged ones because bright fucking blue and red is not tough), baggies for the snacks, frozen jugs of water, ice and some beer for the pre-event tailgating.

All was golden until we got to the parking area and read signs stating that alcohol is prohibited in the parking areas and violators would be severely prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Aww shit, and they were fucking cold too.

Oh well, we can kick back on our kickass beachchairs with a cold one inside the gates and watch the show while snacking on grapes and crackers. Please, don't ask me why, I would have stuffed a baggie with hotdogs and sheephead if I could, but she didn't.

Ok, now we were unpacking and we noticed, as I expected, we were the only ones to follow the advice of the list. I felt like I was going to the concert with only after my mom pinned my tickets to my shirt and that I had clean underwear on. The mosh seeking toughness oozed out of my ass at this point...but my wife was gleaming with excitement and she deserved it. Fuck it, I'm going to see a metal god too.

Well, we get to the gates after a short down ward journey with my metal countrymen and with luggage in tow......and only to be turned away for our beach chairs were too high because the were exceeding the 9" limit. Ok, OK....fuck, I couldn't find anything lower than these!!! Still smiling we said, OK, we'll just dump them in the truck and bring a blanket to lounge on. The trek up the hill began, but was cut off by Dave the golf cart dude. Hell yeah, we'll hop on......"too the truck Dave!"

Now we dumped the chairs and in hiding slammed a beer because we couldn't break the seal of the water bottles and because it was so fucking hot. Back to gates my love and she nodded! Dave was still there and we jumped back on the JP Express to the gates.

When we got there, the dude who rejected us the first time told us that the chairs were indeed allowed and they had tried with all their might to tell us that they were. My sweaty brow really didn't give a shit, so, "back to the truck, Dave!" On our second time up the hill, Dave was just as urked as we were because alot of the rules were not defined and known to the JP workers. Oh well, at least he was more than willing to cart us around.

Ok, another slam of a cold one and we were off again with our lawn chairs.... and then Dave asked for our tickets..... "hey, you guys are in section 4", he said.....I thought were were on the lawn along with all the other black garbed metal freaks. No, we actually had seats. Dave asked if we wanted to go see them and we obliged...... we went around the back way and found that the seats were close and somewhat centered, and on the fucking aisle, I could have cried. "Back to the truck, David my friend, we have got to unload these fucking chairs", and he again was more than willing..... I'm not sure why, but I think he felt like a hero for doing so. And again, after a little contraband of barley pop, we were carted back to the very spot where we were going to view the rest of the show. Dammit, we should have snuck in a real camera because Dave didn't seem to care what we brought. Wow, a ten spot is well deserved by The Dave......."to the can, Dave", damned them beers!

About $1.75 worth of Beer Left

The moral of this story is ........ look at what you paid for and look at your tickets you dumbass, it could save you some cash, especially when buying beers at a metal show.

Rock on

No comments: